So I was staying at my dad’s for a couple of days longer than expected and my stepmom wasn’t here. I wanted to bake something nice for my Daddy that I hadn’t seen in a long time and spoil him. I decided on a light version of a Carrot Cake:
- 1 cup whole grain flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup of extra condensed milk
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
2. In a separate small bowl, combine the applesauce, oil and eggs. Add to the flour mixture, stirring until the ingredients are well blended. Add the grated carrots and mix again.
3. Pour the batter into a greased 9″ tube pan, or use a 9″ x 13″ rectangular cake pan, or two bread loaf pans, or a cupcake pan.
4. Bake the cake in a preheated 350° F oven for about 1 hour, 10 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part of the cake comes out clean. Set the cake on a wire rack for five minutes. Then, run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake, and turn the cake out onto the rack to cool.
5. Spread the condensed milk on top of the cake and use it to stick the crushed bits of walnuts to it.